I’ve been bad about blogging – I’ve got little to say these days – but let me tell you about my character… (And solicit your own tales of bravery!)
Last night, while exploring the Caverns of Thracia, my 4th level Magic-User Arnold Littleworth stared down an allosaurus which had just devoured our platinum robotic liger.
(Yes, we have had a platinum robotic liger. This is not the focus of the story.)
Two things are noteworthy about this encounter:
- The rest of the party all ran away in terror. I won’t kid you, I wanted to run as well. But to the true hero, glory matters more than life itself.
- I cast a spell I researched: Zolobachai’s Impertinent Invitation basically allows you to mingle with monsters until the boss shows up. Thanks to some sloppy drafting on my part, it worked perfectly in this situation.
To the best of my knowledge, this is the first time in the OSR that a Magic-User has researched a brand-new spell and cast it in play. (Though I’d be happy to be proven wrong.)
Not only has Arnold, also known as Zolobachai of the Nine Visions, traveled between two different campaigns, and been immortalized in print (entirely due to Tavis’s greatness) – but he is also Using Magic like a fiend.
What crazy, foolhardy tales of derring-do has your character been up to? For me, this is the third or fourth time Arnold has risked crazy death:
- Arnold – no weapons, no “good” spells – brained a Lizard Man with his frying pan in his first adventure, purely to save Colin Tree-Slayer’s life.
- Arnold – again, no weapons or “good” spells – toppled a mind-controlling statue in order to save the party
- Arnold swindled an 11th level Wizard into eating Giant Eagle dung, in order to lift a curse on his comrade, Sir Argus the Rat-Knight
- The whole thing with the allosaur, yadda yadda old news
So although Maldoor is smarter, and Forager is more ingenious, and John is more noble, and Ookla is more sensible, and Chrystos is funnier–I think Arnold is hands-down the bravest and most gutsy.
I’d be happy to read tales of courage in the comments!